Mississippi State Asylum
Cemetery Project

The Cobb Institute for Archaeology at Mississippi State University has partnered with the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) to systematically excavate, document, and rebury graves located within the right-of-way of University Drive on the east side of campus. These graves are associated with the Mississippi State Asylum, which was established in 1845 and moved to Whitfield in 1935. Although the original asylum no longer stands, archaeologists at the Cobb Institute hope the analysis of burials can shed light on life at the institution and, potentially, the treatment of the mentally ill in late 19th to early 20th century Mississippi in general.